Info For Incoming Freshman
Welcome to Virgina Tech!
Congratulations on becoming a Hokie! You’re in for the best four years of your life, and you will never forget the time you spend here. But between the new friends, the awesome food, and all your exciting extracurriculars, make sure you schedule enough time to study! Here are some tips to make sure you never have to come through our system:
• Be reasonable about your class schedule. Students who are overwhelmed are more likely to cut corners and risk an Honor Code violation.
• Get involved in the Honor System. The more you know about how we work the less likely it is that you’ll end up in our office. It’s also fun!
• Read ALL class syllabi, no matter how repetitive you think it is. Each professor has different expectations. Some allow group collaboration and others don’t. Not knowing the rules because you didn’t read the syllabus is not an excuse! This especially applies to classes at the Math Emporium!
• Stand up for yourself and this school. Talk to your friends if you know they’re thinking about cheating, and try to explain to them that they’re not only hurting themselves, but they are cheapening everyone else’s degrees. We are always available for advice.
• Ask questions! If you are unclear about how to do an assignment, ask your TA or professor. A thirty-second question could save you hours of community service and a potential grade penalty!
I hope all of you have a great year here at Tech! Please remember to be smart, responsible, and to uphold the integrity of our university! Go Hokies!
Chief Justice, Undergraduate Honor System
Academic Year 2012-13